Translate

Saturday 9 March 2013

Baby Happy Dance!

Not me (or Nia, despite the hints on her blog) but this little baby sampler:


Danika is my friend's new grand-daughter.  The little characters are from the Mamas and Papas Millie and Boris nursery range that the new parents have chosen for their daughter.  The frame co-ordinates with the white gloss in the room.  I charted the characters from some images I downloaded from the M&P website and found a lovely Slavic font through Google Images which I also converted to cross stitch.

The buttons are Just Buttons and probably cost more than the rest of the project put together!!  In return for stitching it I got some pennies and an Easter Egg.  Hopefully I'll get a nice picture of baby too.  I have spent the money on some new stash already!  There is a woman on FB destashing 25 years worth of stuff!  I bought some Just Nans.  If you're interest in Drawn Thread, Sweetheart Tree, LHN or Lizzie*Kate in particular then ask for an invite so you can browse (it's a closed group so you can't see until you join).

This is a very old finish I needed to photograph for my Happy Dance blog.  Stitched back in 1994 or 95 on black aida, it's a row of cute kitties that sat on my son's window sill for several years.  The first picture is how it looks and the second shows the difference between the front and the back!


Doesn't look too bad until you compare:


Here is this week's main stitching focus:


Just for a change I'm stitching the border first rather than my usual centre start.  This means I can show you a progress picture without giving it all away (unless you are a total stitching geek and can recognise it from the border alone!)

Enabling Spot coming up here:

Here's a nice new blog just launched with a week of freebies - The Snowflower Diaries.  Maja is a Hungarian participant on the Hallowe'en Ornie SAL and one of the first designs is a Hallowe'en chart.  The other one is some rather more seasonal bunnies.

Talking of Hungarians and bunny freebies - here's another link - Palko-lap.  There are lots of different freebies here as well as these Quaker Bunnies.  The Quaker Cat is a favourite of mine too.

Finally, it's Mother's Day in the UK tomorrow so hopefully you'll all be getting breakfast in bed and lots of nice treats from your children and/or furbabies.  If you don't have children or furbabies then you can have a lie-in any time without being suddenly woken up at unsociable hours by unearthly yowling so you don't need a special day!

If your country doesn't celebrate Mother's Day in March then you must claim your English roots and tell your family you need to be treated, make them do it in an English accent too, just for fun.


23 comments:

Nic said...

I'd love to be invited to the destashing group on Facebook if you can invite me. Thanks for the postcard as well I got it a few days ago and have been meaning to message you. I must let you have our new address as well :-) Happy Mothers Day for tomorrow xx

Gwen said...

Very nice finish. I am sure the parents will love it. The stitching on your gift is coming along nicely.

Happy Mother's Day,

Gwen

Julie said...

Great job on your design and finish.

Happy Mothers Day for tomorrow.

Rachel said...

D-d-d-d-d-d-de stashing??? I want in! Love the birth record! I don't recognize the border, but I like it, LOL. LOVE The Snowflower Diaries, Thanks for sharing it! Oh and Palko too!LOL, claiming to be English tomorrow

Susan said...

Very cute finish. I'm not familiar with the little figures but they would make a fun nursery. Amazing how much things fade isn't it. Very nice progress on your piece and I'm no enough of a stitching geek to figure it out. 8-)

Linda said...

Congrats on the great finish. I love your little kittie pic. What a great new start.

Linda

Linda said...

Congrats on the great finish. I love your little kittie pic. What a great new start.

Linda

Preeti said...

Great finish! Your kitties look very cute!:)

Brigitte said...

Such a lovely birth sampler.

Mii Stitch said...

Stunning sampler!!! I love what you did with the M&P characters!!! My sis who had her baby last year went for the bedtime hug bear collection (the one on sales!!) & I tried to find something similar to stitch & of course gave up and ended up with Boofle!!!.... Wish I was as creative as you, it really look perfect, well done!! xx

Christine said...

The birth sampler has come out beautifully, they'll be thrilled with it.
Thanks for the links to the hungarian sites.
I wouldn't mind an invite to the FB group

Giovanna said...

Lovely birth sampler - congrats to your friend and the family on the new arrival :-)

Nicola said...

What a loevly birth sampler Jo and so clever that you designed it.

I hope you ad lots of chocolates this morning.

Claire said...

Great finish.x

Julie said...

You've created such a beautiful heirloom piece for the little girl Jo, i'm sure it will be treasured.

Thanks for the links to the freebies.

hope you had a wonderful Mothering Sunday with your little ones.

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Wow, what an amazing gift for your friend's grandchild, such a lot of work goes into samplers. I did my first bit of counted cross stitch since I was in primary school last week (a mothers' day card) and nearly went blind! So fiddly. I would like to do some more though, samplers are beautiful.

Bernadett said...

Pretty works.I love them.:)Mostly the birth sampler.:)

Anne said...

Lovely finish Jo. They will be so happy to receive this baby sampler. Great new start too. I like to change up where I start a design. I don't usually follow any particular way. I'll go check out those links!!

Kerryp77 said...

The birth sampler is so pretty Jo, well done on the finish. The mystery stitch is coming along well too, such pretty shades.

Astrids dragon said...

Adorable, I'm sure they'll be thrilled!

The cats, I love the cats! You just made a new colour, that's all. ;)

geeky Heather said...

LOL...I hope you were properly spoiled on Mother's Day. Great job on the custom birth sampler! It looks fab.

♥ Nia said...

hahahahah :D
I promise I will share with everyone when that time comes for me ;) hahaha
Lovely stitching sweetie!
hugs&smiles

Fiona said...

Great finish on your birth sampler. You did a fantastic design job and I'm sure that the family will love it.