Translate

Friday 11 December 2015

December TUSAL

Tusal

It's TUSAL time again, the final one of the year!  For those of you new to blogging, the TUSAL is a project run by Daffycat, click on the button on the right hand bar for more details.

Here is my ORTS jar posing with the current stitching projects:


On the right we have the ongoing progress on Plum Street Sampler's 12 Days of Christmas.  Here are pictures of the completed Eighth Day and started Ninth Day:

The green cow is rather interesting!

stitched over one on 25 count linen

On the left of the photo you can see my latest finish, this started out as the Creepy Tree design for November's theme on the Hallowe'en Ornie SAL Blog.  I enjoyed stitching the small so much I decided to stitch all 8 blocks and make them into an eight-sided box using another BRD as the lid.


All the designs came from this year's Just Cross Stitch Hallowe'en Ornie preview issue and are by Blue Ribbon Designs.  I stitched them using the recommended DMC on some 32 count blue evenweave.  The eight blocks are over two and the lid is over one.


Once I'd finished stitching the pieces I cut them to shape and the cut some mounting board to back them.  For the blocks I used eight individual pieces so they would bend in the right places.


I used double-sided tape to stick the edges to the back of the square cards and then used more tape to fix some blue felt on the reverse.  I did the same for the two octagons.


I stitched the two ends together, whip stitched along the edge and then whip stitched the base of the piece on all eight sides.  Finally I whip stitched the top to one edge of the side.


Because of my very basic finishing skills the lid did not sit perfectly straight so I added four little charms to help keep it in place.




Inside the box there is a little surprise!



Close-up of the lid design.


The original design has some bats and said Bag of Treats but the bats used fractionals and wouldn't have looked right over one.  And obviously this is a Box not a Bag!  The plan is to put sweets in it next year for Hallowe'en.

As ever, I learned some useful techniques for finishing; one being to use the felt to cover the join not to make it worse.  The other being octagons are really hard to make even!  Squares are easier.

Finally, we are jingling through the Advent Calendar Blog Hop.  I am delighted that my friend Astrid is taking part this year but while you are waiting to see her post I do recommend you visit this one of her's first - I Am Not a Turkey.  I don't know if this is an American thing or unique to her school but it is hilarious!  This is the third year she has posted and I love them, they make me laugh so much.  Enjoy!

26 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, the box looks great! Thanks for showing and explaining how you made it, too!

AnaCristina said...

I loved!!!

Barb said...

Jo, That little Halloween box is just adorable. I am impressed with your finishing skills!

gominam said...

That box is stunning! Love the colors and it's so neat:)
I haven't been good in keeping my ORTs lately...

Mini said...

Oh my, that box took my breath away. What a heirloom you have created! I'm enjoying hopping on to different blogs for the Advent Calendar Blog Hop.

Linda said...

Wow Jo. Congrats on the amazing finish.

Linda

Bea said...

Fabulous little box.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous finish ♥ Loved seeing how this was made

Heather said...

Lol the non turkeys are great I've never seen that before so not a custom! Your box looks amazing I love the surprise inside :)

Justine said...

Jo that octagon looks amazing! What a clever finish too. The separate pieces of card are inspired.

Vickie said...

What a good job you have done on your box.
I love the addition of the pink ladies dancing of course. ;)

Katie said...

Oh my gosh.....how beautiful! Thanks for explaining how you did it.

Christine said...

That box is fabulous!

gracie said...

Love the box and your finish....today is my day for the blog hop and I just want to thank you again for hosting this .

Susan said...

Love the green cow! The box is too cute!!! What a great finishing idea. Very brave of you to tackle also.

Margaret said...

My you are clever. I love the box and totally agree-octagonal boxes have a high degree of difficulty!

Cross Stitch Claire said...

Fantastic finish, it looks great!

Julie said...

Stunning finish, you are clever Jo with your ideas.

Brigitte said...

Oh my, Jo, this is just gorgeous. Your finishing skills are stunning, and what a great idea to use double sided tape to hold the parts together. It is certainly easier than to use glue, at least for me (my hands and everything else is covered with glue when I use it for finishing). Thanks for showing step by step pictures of the finishing. One day I'll try that, too. Maybe.

LovesFrills said...

Oh my word-that box is spectacular! You are incredibly creative and talented as well! Someday, I'd like to attempt to make a box like this myself.

Sarah in Stitches said...

Wow, that box is amazing! You've done a beautiful job. Love your 8th and 9th Days too! :D

ANGIE said...

Hi Jo, I love your box! Boo! Happy stitching!

Leonore Winterer said...

Wow, that box is awesome! I'll really have to work on my finishing skills next year.

♥ Nia said...

ohhh! wonderful box!!! Congrats sweetie :D
Fantastic!!!

The Crafty Princess said...

OMG how much do I love your box of treats? Well let me tell you - IMMENSELY!!!! That looks amazing amazeballs! You never cease to amaze me. I'm seeing how many times I can insert amazing into the comments, cos that's what I am in amazement!!

That eight milking maid looks like she is standing on that interesting green cow. How rude LOL!

Beautiful work on this post stunner!
xoxo Alicia

Denise said...

What a clever use of designs from JCS Halloween Ornie Preview. I was thinking I was going to have to hunt all over to find the chart to make the beautiful box but I believe I have the mag! You are an inspiration and a fabulous stitcher! Thanks for the great idea!